Wednesday 9 September 2009

Album Cover

So, I've been a bit busy lately working and designing an album cover for Irish singer/songwriter, Mark Geary. He has just recorded a Live album in New York called "Live Love Lost it - NYC". I was luck enough to be able to design the album cover and CD. Because its a live album and it's from NYC then I thought about using letterpress as my main idea. I wasn't interested in getting a perfect impression. I wanted it to be rough..........raw.

I used a nice blocky wooden typeface for the front (pardon my ignorance for actually not knowing what it is. Infact, its on an image at the bottom of this blog!!). I also did my first lot of typesetting with the help of a master and set the lyrics in 12pt Times New Roman. This turned out beautifuly when pressed but unfortunately, wasn't used in the final outcome.

In the end, I resorted back to my style of design and combined letterpress and illustration. Some hand rendered type thrown in there..................

Unfortunately, I don't think I am able to put up any images yet of what the design looks like. But as soon as it has gone to print and has started being printed, I will get some images up. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure I can give you a glimpse of the track names that I did.


 



Check out Mark Geary. Fantastic guy.

1 comment:

  1. Cool job! Can't wait to see the final print! John said you did good setting type upside down and backwards :} I think the wooden type if French Antique Extended - that's what I bought mine as.

    ReplyDelete